This is basicaly what I’m collecting to make coffee in my vacation home. The power there is insufficient to power an espresso machine. I’d have to turn down all the lights, or the breaker will pop.
So back to basics seemed like a good idea. A grinder (pede) and a drip filter coffee maker or French press. Perhaps a small coffee roaster. That wya I’ll be able to drink super fresh coffee when on vacation!
espresso and Humphry Slocombe ice cream
Way of the Bean
I’ve read about this
I’ve tried this last summer
It. Is. Epic.
Seriously, if you have vanilla icecream laying around in your freezer, pull a double (or a little more) espresso pop in a ball of icecream and enjoy! Quickly! The espresso will cool real fast.
But it’s heaven in a cup.
No pictures yet, but the EB is clean as a whistle. Well, almost.
I completely disassembled the machine. Every screw, notch, spring and crevice is cleaned.
It was incredibly dirty. Even after washing the housing three times with soap and lukewarm water it was still sticky, in the end I used degrease and hot water.
Now it’s clean, but the paint is all pinky. I’ll try to fix this with car wax. If it fails I will redo the paint. I’m thinking hammerhite gold, or bright yellow (like a Renault Alpine).
In the machine’s interior was enough coffee to pull a couple of espressos, but it was covered in a thin white moldy coat. Super-disgusting, but easily cleaned.
A bigger challenge was the grinder chamber. The burrs came out easily, but the bottom burr carrier… is stuck.
I think the driving axle is tapered and the carrier is pushed on by the locking screw. Further tightened by the torque of the motor over time and now stuck. The entire chamber is covered in tar like coffee gunk. It smells very bad. I removed a lot using a Dremel tool with brushes and 97% alcohol to soften the gunk. The alcohol dissolves the gunk with ease, but you have to get it out quick because the alcohol evaporated fast.
At this time I got frustrated and went to bed, the foul coffee smell was impossible to get of my hands. I ended up putting them under my pillow. -_-‘
The next day…
I had a night to think about the bottom burr carrier. If it’s pressed on a tapered axle it has to be pulled out, of pressed out. I tried the latter by screwing in the burr locking screws without the burr. That way they are to long and push the carrier up and away from the bottom of the burr chamber.
This works, but will (ever so slightly) scratch the bottom of the chamber and increase build up of grind in the future. I didn’t get it out and decided to leave it there for now.
I will get a metal plate to cover the camber, drill three holes at the appropriate locations and screws long enough to reach the carrier. Tightening the screws will pull the carrier out, without any damage. I have no clue how to get it back in though.
With the carrier left where it is I reassembled the machine. Lubed all the mechanical parts with bearing lube. And coated the springs in silicone lube to prevent rust.
Even with the pinkish painting it looks so… clean!
Setting the grind
I bought half a kilo of (cheap) coffee to set the grind for my Quick Mill 820. From what I have read online it’s very hard to find the proper grind setting. After grinding and trying 60g of coffee I seemed to have found the proper setting. That’s quick. maybe too quick. So I’ll try coarser grinds as well to see what they do.
During the cleaning I noticed some parts are missing or damaged. A screw, a spring plate. The hopper is missing it’s ‘hat’ near the opening as well as the magnet. I’m thinking about a new set of burrs so I have spares. That’s all I can think of now. Nothing too dramatic.
I’ll get some pictures of the grinder with the Quick. But that’s for another time.